I’ve had the longest arguments with my friends on why I prefer eating fish to beef and trust me, I’m always going to be “team fish”. As much as everyone is entitled to have their own preferences and choices, it’s also important to make healthy food decisions and balance out your proteins.
First of all, fish oil supplements are pretty beneficial and are a valuable addition to some people’s diets, especially if they have specific health problems or dietary limitations that restrict their intake of fish.
All You Need To Know About Fish Oil Supplements
I would like to explore the whole science behind fish oil supplements, the benefits, and probably some disadvantages, which will serve as a guide in making a healthy and informed choice.
Fish oil supplements have been understood to be rich in two types of omega-3 fatty acids: EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which is particularly essential for brain and heart health. They are also found in fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Now let’s dive into the benefits.
Key Advantages Of Fish Oil Supplements
- Fish oil supplements help with brain development as this is the function of the DHA. This provides improved memory, and also mood regulation. Omega-3s may also reduce the risk of age-related cognitive decline and conditions like Dementia.
- It improves eye health because the DHA also, is also a major component of the retina, and omega-3 fatty acids on their own, help maintain quality vision therefore reducing the risk of age-related eye diseases, especially dry eye syndrome.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil reduce triglycerides, lower blood pressure, and also improve the overall health of the heart. They are even very well known for reducing the risk of heart disease.
- It is also surprising that the Omega-3s enhance our mood and mental health. And of course, an improved mood helps in the management of depression and anxiety thereby supporting emotional well-being.
- Omega-3s enhance the body’s Immunity system. This helps us fight and defend against infections and airborne illnesses.
- Fish oil supplements are usually recommended to pregnant women to aid their health and child development. This is very important because Omega-3 fatty acids help the infant’s brain and eyes.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3s are advantageous to people with joint conditions like arthritis. They provide pain relief to the joints and enhance joint mobility. It has also been discovered that these anti-inflammatory properties provide healthy skin. It fights some skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
- Last but not least, studies suggest that omega-3s assist in weight loss and fat reduction when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
Are Fish Oil Supplements As Healthy As We Think?
Fish oil supplements are definitely as healthy as we think however it is important to note and consider these factors:
- First, the effectiveness of fish oil supplements usually depends on the dosage and it can also vary from one individual’s specific health needs to another.
- Secondly, The quality of fish oil supplements can vary. Therefore, it is advised to look for products that are tested for purity and strength/effectiveness
- Again, the dietary sources of fish oil supplements are very crucial as It’s medically advised to obtain nutrients from whole foods like salmon, mackerel, and sardines.
- Moreover, individual variation also matters as not everyone will benefit equally from fish oil supplements, some people tend to get side effects like digestive issues or a fishy aftertaste.
- Lastly, people with health conditions should endeavor to see a professional consultant before taking fish oil supplements, because if you have an underlying health issue, or you’re probably just taking medications, they can mix up with the drugs and alter the treatment process.
In conclusion, if you are still stuck with the question “Is eating fish better?” The answer is right here in this piece so, weigh the pros and cons, and then the choice is totally yours to make!
Business8 years ago
Winston-Salem’s Stu Epperson Expands Right Wing Media Machine
Columns7 years ago
Captured & Tortured by ISIS- On the Ground in a War Zone
Colleges & Univ7 years ago
Celebrating our Neighbors: Awards, Recognition and New Leadership
Business7 years ago
Looking for a job? Check out these local job fairs
Columns7 years ago
Thorezine- Twitter is the Devil
Arts & Entertainment7 years ago
Celebrate Historic Preservation Month with events around the county
Community7 years ago
The Winston-Salem Foundation Announces May Community Grants
Local Interest8 years ago
UPDATED: Winston-Salem Wal-Mart Robbed at Gunpoint