Bedtime! The period to sleep and get enough rest from the day’s stress, and the period to relax the mind, brain, and body. Yet, bedtime is a tragic moment for some people. Despite the calmness of the night, troubled thoughts roam their mind leaving them in distress. Just about the time the eyes close, a surge of fear runs through their veins, alarming the brain of danger.
This anxiety makes them feel like at sleep their life might end. Many people ponder “Does this happen for real? Or is it just a cook-up tale?” Well, according to conducted research and interviews with those who pass through this every night, it is real! This condition is known as sleep anxiety.
To prove that sleep anxiety is certainly real, a family physician in Salem Ohio, Mike Sevilla says “Some of my patients who experience this feel like something bad is going to happen to them while they are sleeping and others describe the feeling of needing to stay alert, which all keeps them from sleeping.”
Sleep Anxiety Well Explained
Sleep anxiety is a disorder that specifically creates concerns, worries, or fears when it’s time to sleep.
People who have this anxiety go through heightened stress when it comes to falling asleep, staying asleep, or the quality of their sleep. This dilemma can make it more difficult to get a good night rest, creating a cycle of sleep disturbances and increased anxiety.
People compare sleep anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder as being similar but there’s a huge difference between both and that is sleep anxiety is associated basically with sleep.
Symptoms Of Sleep Anxiety
When it’s about sleeping time but sleep ain’t coming, it is a signal for sleep anxiety. This is the most observed symptom of sleep anxiety but aside from this, there are other signs that might not easily be discovered and they are:
- I wake up multiple times during the night and have difficulty getting back to sleep.
- Frequent nightmares or night sweats that cause sleep disruption.
- Displaying physical symptoms such as racing heart, muscle tension, or restlessness when attempting to sleep.
- During the day comes fatigue, irritability, and fatigue due to poor sleep at night.
- The cycle of anxiety can perpetuate over worrying about not getting enough sleep.
- Due to worries about sleep, individuals with sleep anxiety find it challenging to relax and initiate.
If anyone is displaying any of the symptoms listed above that obviously proves such a person has sleep anxiety.
Sleep Anxiety: Why It Is Dangerous
Like other forms of anxiety, sleep anxiety can have several negative effects leading to potential consequences and dangers such as:
- Sleep anxiety frequently leads to constant insomnia that makes it difficult to get enough restorative sleep. This usually leads to daytime fatigue, reduced cognitive function, and impaired concentration.
- When sleep anxiety is left untreated, it often awakens other mental health challenges like generalized anxiety disorder or depression.
- Sleep anxiety leads to cardiovascular problems, obesity, and a weakened immune system
- Sleep anxiety can cause errors in everyday life or accidents while driving.
How To Recover From Sleep Anxiety
Below are vital tips to help relieve sleep anxiety, taking you right back to slumberland.
- Avoid taking alcohol and caffeine during bedtime.
- Do not take heavy meals during bedtimes.
- Engage in regular exercise a few hours before bedtime.
- Stop watching the clock.
- Keep phones, tablets, laptops, or computers away for one hour before bedtime.
Overcoming sleep anxiety may take time, be patient and consistent. Implementing the tips listed above certainly will help to improve sleep and reduce anxiety surrounding bedtime.
Business8 years ago
Winston-Salem’s Stu Epperson Expands Right Wing Media Machine
Columns7 years ago
Captured & Tortured by ISIS- On the Ground in a War Zone
Colleges & Univ7 years ago
Celebrating our Neighbors: Awards, Recognition and New Leadership
Business7 years ago
Looking for a job? Check out these local job fairs
Columns7 years ago
Thorezine- Twitter is the Devil
Arts & Entertainment7 years ago
Celebrate Historic Preservation Month with events around the county
Community7 years ago
The Winston-Salem Foundation Announces May Community Grants
Local Interest8 years ago
UPDATED: Winston-Salem Wal-Mart Robbed at Gunpoint