Thanks to a generous donor, Triad Academy at Summit School will provide Orton-Gillingham training to 10 licensed teachers and a practicum experience through a five-week summer camp. Funds are available to pay substitute teachers during the training and tutors will be compensated for their time during the camp.
Students may apply for need based scholarships to receive one-on-one Orton-Gillingham instruction from 9 am to noon during the five-week camp. An optional afternoon program will be offered from noon to 3 p.m. for an additional fee.
Teachers interested in applying for this training must meet the following criteria:
- A current teacher working in an elementary classroom in the North Carolina public or charter schools
- Attend an interest session on Wednesday, January 13 at 4 PM at Triad Academy at Summit School
- Attend all training dates: February 4, 5, 6; March 3, 4, 5; and April 7, 8 ($3,000 value)
- Provide one-on-one tutoring and receive mentoring from 9-12 during the summer camp weeks of June 20, 27; July 11, 18, 25
- Complete an application
Students interested in applying for the summer camp must:
- Be a rising 2nd-5th grade public or charter school student
- Have a response to intervention (RTI) Tier I support
- Have received RTI during the school year
- Attend the camp for the weeks of June 20, 27; July 11, 18, 25
- Have English as the primary language spoken at home
- Have an average to above average IQ, with no behavior or emotional issues
- Have transportation to and from Summit School
Complete an application HERE.